Wednesday, September 16, 2015

A Lazy Girl's Guide to Style

*Alarm goes off*
Me: Hits Snooze button
(repeat x3)
The number of times I hit 'snooze' then correlates to the amount of time & effort I will be able to put into my appearance that day. Today was one of those, "The-hair-is-going-up-because-I-definitely- don't-have-time-to-straighten-or-curl-it" kind of days.

I can't help but feel grateful for the girl who accidentally caused a trend due her "laziness". Whether it is due to lack of sleep, money, interest in fashion or like most of us, the time to dedicate to the Kardashian level of beauty -- these accidents and lazy moments have made a impact on the fashion industry. Let's just highlight a few style trends to which we can be thankful, for those of us that have a slight addiction to the snooze button.

1. Ombre Hair Coloring --
When your hair grows out and suddenly your natural hair color is showing at your roots, you now have the ability to act like it was intentional -- and that you didn't just forget to book your next hair appointment. I MEANT for my hair to be 3 -5 different shades from root to tip, I'm glad you noticed. Thank you Carrie Bradshaw and your days on Sex and the City for spearheading the ombre campaign.

Bandeaus:
I wish I could have the comfort of a sports bra without the actual sweat, bulky straps, or the need to go to a sporting event. ... And, bandeaus were born.

Dry Shampoo:
We have literally created the ability to go days without washing our hair & the world now says it's okay -- as long as you spray in some dry shampoo. Whoever first pitched that to marketing was definitely a woman who wanted to sleep in.

Top Knots/Messy Buns:
If the dry shampoo just isn't cutting it for your hair, this if your fall back. Just pile all your hair on the top of your head and intentionally have it look like it is falling out. This one actually allows you to leave your hair how it looks when you wake up and pull it off for the day.

Spray Tans:
No need for a vacation. No need for the summer. No need to go outside. You can now be painted to look like you were beaching in Mexico, when you really spent last weekend binge watching Gilmore Girls on Netflix.

Maxi Skirts:
Although to men it may appear like we have dressed up for the day, maxi skirts are a subtle "lazy" style. They mix the comfort and stretch of sweat pants with the ability to look dressy so you can wear them to the office. Let's face it, if they had seaming in the middle, they would be pajama pants.

And finally the greatest trend of the 21st century...

Yoga Pants:
Functions include -- workout gear, lounge attire, and leggings. If actually doing yoga were a pre-requisite of wearing the pants, the world would either be extremely fit, or the trend would die all together. Modeled by woman of all ages, for now it looks like this trend is here to stay. And the question continues -- How can I make these look dressy enough to qualify as "business casual"?

As I am currently looking in the mirror at my top knot, noticing how my roots have grown out, while wearing yoga pants & a bandeau -- I can't help but think, I am so on trend, I should be on the cover of InStyle. Well, maybe if I get a spray tan first.

Thank you to all the "lazy" girls out there for helping the rest of us survive the fashion industry. 



No comments:

Post a Comment