Friday, November 18, 2016

He's Home! A Deployment Homecoming

320 days.
11 months.
46 weeks.

Finally, after all that time, I would get to see him. In just a few minutes I would get to watch him walk off the plane & take him home after a long deployment overseas.

Jerromy: I can't believe after traveling 7,000 miles, I am FINALLY on my last flight home!

My heart was racing; pumping with adrenaline. I tapped my foot anxiously as I sat in the airport terminal. I checked & re-checked my hair & makeup (I mean a girl wants to look good for her husband she hasn't seen in so long.) I tried my best to remain calm, but the butterflies in my stomach took over. Excitement continued to build as the minutes ticked away.

All I can think about is kissing her.  I'm so excited it's almost like I'm nervous -- the excitement has my whole body feeling energized, down to my bones.

I was on the brink of tears (again). I already cried on the way to the airport, overwhelmed with the idea that this was THEE day. Consumed with the feeling of being blessed beyond anything imaginable. In a scenario when so many things could go wrong, we made it through.

He was safe. And the deployment was over.

As the plane flew over Kearney, I started to recognize the houses, the streets; and it became more real. This is home.

The airport attendant announced the flight had landed --  He was here.

I jumped up & watched (almost in slow motion) as the pilots exited, the stairs were lowered, the luggage unloaded, and the first passenger could leave the jet. One by one people filed off the plane.

And then I saw him step down.

The people walking in front of me seemed to take forever to move forward, but I walked around the front of the plane with determined steps.

My heart was beating so loudly, it drowned out every other sound in the terminal.

All at once, I could finally see his face, his smile -- and it took my breath away.

She was standing there holding the sign she made with the biggest smile, (sigh) -- She's even more beautiful than when I left.

When he was just steps away I pushed forward and threw myself into his arms & kissed him.
He hugged me with everything he had.
I melted into him.

She came into my arms and it felt like I hadn't gone anywhere. I was right where I should be. Where I belong.

And we stayed like that, in this embrace for what felt like days. Not wanting to let go...

Busy people moved around us, headed to & from their next destination. Flights were called. For most, the day continued on.

But for us, it had stopped momentarily.

For once in 320 days, time was on our side.


No comments:

Post a Comment